Thursday, December 31, 2009

:: What to do? ::

So many decisions come along with having a baby!! The pregnancy ones... to find out the gender or not, when to go on mat leave, what vehicle to get that's best for Baby and you... and then the ones about the Baby - where to enroll them in school (in my town you need to enroll in some schools while pregnant or your child won't get in), what brands to use for diapers, bottles, soothers, etc. and the big one I'm working through right now - to circumcise or not to circumcise.

This decision is one that is weighing heavily on my mind these days! I don't have brothers and never gave circumcision much thought growing up... and when I did get to the point where I thought about it, I thought it was an easy decision - if I had a son I would circumcise him. But now it's not so cut and dry (pardon the pun!) I've been looking into it and asking other moms how they came to decisions for their sons. And my mind remains as fuzzy as it ever was! Everyone has their opinion or reasons and to me, most are valid ones. I think this is a big decision because it's a life-long one for our child (if our Baby is a boy, of course!) I've researched the Bible too, as if there was clear direction there, that would make it easy. But nope! From all the Scripture I read on the topic, it's still a decision that's up to Josh and me.

So if this isn't too personal of a topic for you, may I ask - what did you decide? Even if you had a girl, did you and your hubby discuss this question and come to any conclusions? Or if you don't have kids, do you have thoughts on the subject or know what you'll do if you have a son one day? I'm not saying that we'll go with a majority vote or anything, but any input would be appreciated as Josh and I make this decision. Thanks! :)

I'm sure I will be using this blog to post many more baby-related questions over the next 11 weeks, and beyond. Yup, 11 weeks 'til our due date!! Oh, are we ever getting excited... :)

8 comments:

Morgan said...

One pediatrician recommended to me (and what she did with her son) was to do whatever the dad did. I know a lot of people who have made their decision that way.

For us, with Judah, Eric had a stronger preference than I did. I didn't care as much either way and he wanted him to be circumcised, so we did. Then, we naturally did the other two boys, too.

Your right- there are so many decisions to make and so much information out there! A lot of times what we've done is do our research, pray about it, than just go with our gut. A lot of decisions, like ou said, there isn't a clear "right" or "wrong" decision, just personal preference. :)

You guys are already such great parents! :)

Anita Grace said...

I have to agree with Morgan. Although we didn't hear that advice from a pediatrician, we naturally thought the same thing. I didn't have a big preference either way, but Jordan wanted our boys to be & so they are.

I've heard alot more on the subject since making that decision ourselves. To be honest, I really didn't do much research back when we were pregnant because it wasn't a big deal to be either way. I have no regrets about circumcising our boys although I have heard some people say negative things about it too. There seem to be many different views on the 'pros' & 'cons' of it.

But really, in the end, I think whatever you do will be what is best for you guys. I don't think it necessarily has to always be 'the same as daddy' because as boys grow up I'm sure they'll see both ways (in changing rooms at pools, etc.) & it can be easily explained to them.

The Bible does not say one way is right or wrong either. So yeah, haha, I don't know if that helped at all but those are my thoughts! Pray about it, and see how you feel.

If you want to hear thoughts from someone who did not circumsise her boys and is much more opinionated about it, check out this blog:

http://www.mycharmingkids.net/search/label/circumcision

Anita Grace said...

Oh yes & happy New Year to you guys... it looks like it's going to be really exiciting for you both!

Jessi said...

Our decision was easy. We both agreed that we wanted Sebastian circumcised and so he was. I can't say that I've regretted the decision at all...not to mention that a few days after having it done a friend of mine from growing up had to have her son circumcised- at age 6 due to repeat infections. Confirmation to us.
Either way you choose, you're baby will never know the difference...he'll be around guys who are and you aren't.
Miss you guys! Happy New Year!

Christy said...

I was very surprise when we started asking around to our friends, how many of the guys our age were not circumsised.
We feel since the medical community no longer covers it as a necessary procedure, that we wouldn't do it. I worked with a Urologist at my old work and he told me as someone who performs them, he doesn't recommend them.

Jason and Kristin said...

Everywhere that we kind of looked, it was more recommended than not. And we also had been given the advice about doing what the dad did and how the dad felt about it. We heard a few different stories of kids growing up and wondering why they looked different from their dad (if they chose to do it differently). Also, for health reasons and benefits when they are older, we saw more benefit in doing circumcision, so we were both in agreement from the beginning. For example, we had a friend who ended up having to be circumcised at 15 due to an accident/infection and it was really traumatizing for him.
Whatever decision you guys make will be the best one - you are the parents and you have to feel confident about what you decide.

Meg Baxter said...

Nice new blog layout!

We also felt like a boy should look like his daddy. I think it is a smart way to go. I know this isn't as medically relevant, but I'm struggling with piercing Heidi's ears. Do I do it now, when she won't remember? But I HATE to see her in pain. Ugh. But I really want to. These decisions really weigh heavily on us, don't they? Wait til you start thinking about vaccinations! Boy, that one was tough for me.

Shawna said...

I agree - do as the Daddy has done, it's really strictly cosmetic. However if you were Jewish, it has a whole different (amazing!) meaning. But you are not, so you don't have to worry about that.

Uncircumcised penis' look SO different to circumcised penis' - so much so that when Jacob was circumcised on his 9th day after the mohel finished the removal of the foreskin I said "oh, there's the penis" ha ha ha. Yeah, I know crazy eh!?!!?

We strictly made our decision based on friends kids having continual infections & that Daddy was circumcised and we wanted the uniformity of the penis' in our home - ha ha.

Good luck with this subject, whatever you choose, will be right for you and your family.