Monday, September 15, 2008

:: A Year Ago Today ::

Josh and I got engaged!! What a perfect day it was. I can hardly believe a whole year has passed since then! I don't think I've even had a busier year in my life, and looking back... it makes my head spin a bit! :)

For those of you who don't know the story, here goes! Josh and I were nearing our one year dating anniversary and he told me that he wanted to make a plan for the day, to leave it to him. He told me to wear something casual, bring shoes (not sandals) and something a little dressier as well. Easy enough! He picked me up and we headed out, deciding to stop at Starbucks on the way out. His original plan was to go out for a nice breakfast but I took too long getting ready! haha. We decided to exchange gifts in Starbucks before getting on with our day. He opened his - a Guess watch that we had seen and he had been wanting. I went to open mine and Josh told me that it wasn't what I would think it was when I saw it and to not be disappointed. So yup, there was a ring box in the gift bag. Before I opened it Josh told me that he knew I wanted to get engaged but he wanted to make sure he was ready. So this gift represented his promise to one day propose to me, and so I would know he was serious and did want to marry me. All this made sense and I respected what he was saying... although I'm not gonna lie and say I wasn't feeling some disappointment! I opened the box to find a sweet promise ring, made of white gold and 4 small diamonds put together to make one, with three little ones down each side. I asked if it was okay that I wore it on my right hand, as I had never worn a ring on my left, "saving" it for my engagement/wedding ring. He also gave me some bath bombs, body wash, and eyeshadow! To be honest I struggled a little with my feelings at this point. I wanted to be engaged SO BAD and was feeling a little disappointed about it not happening, yet I didn't want to be ungrateful for what Josh did say and give!! Oh dear :)

We carried on our way, heading west on the #1 Highway. All the way past Whistler to Pemberton! Josh had arranged for us to go horseback riding, something I had talked about wanting to do with him. Riding is one of my favourite childhood past times and Josh had never been! Luckily the rest of the group cancelled so it was just Josh, myself and our guide. We headed out, on paths through forests and meadows - it was beautiful! Josh managed to hang in there, but I don't think riding is for him :) We got to this lovely spot about halfway through the ride, to rest a bit. We were on a shore by a river, with breathtaking mountains and the forest. We stayed on horseback, letting the horses drink and taking pictures of the natural beauty all around us. Josh asked our guide to bring his and my horses together and take a picture. *Oh my stomach is fluttering just thinking about the moment!!* Once together (as close as we could be on our horses!) he took something out of his pocket. He told me that when I asked him what he wanted for our year anniversary all he could think of was me - he wanted me, for the rest of his life. Then he showed me the ring and asked me to marry him!!! I couldn't take my eyes off this stunning ring and Josh's sincere eyes. Of course I said yes and practically fell off my horse trying to hug him tight!! Our guide was so cute, taking pictures and trying to keep our horses still - we were too busy being in love for that!! :) The rest of the ride back I was shaking and so happy, asking Josh a thousand questions - when he talked with my Dad, when he bought the ring, how long he'd known he was going to do it, yada yada. I was most shocked to find out that he had bought the ring 6 months earlier!! The one I wanted got discontinued so he got the last one before it was gone, but knew he wouldn't propose for awhile. My sweet, patient man! Oh, and the promise ring? He did that to throw me off!! He wanted the proposal to be a surprise so he thought up that plan - and was quite please with himself :)

We ended our ride and got changed, then went for a fancy dinner in the Blackcomb Village. So fun to dream about our wedding and life together! We drove back to Langley, to Lisa and Wes' place, where my parents were babysitting. I thought of this plan to show them my promise ring and make them think he didn't ask, then surprise them... but once I saw them I couldn't even talk and just stood there, screaming and holding out my left hand! haha. All 4 of them were there and they were all so happy for us. It was great to share our excitement and celebrate together. I couldn't stop smiling and was just SO in love with my FIANCE!! yay!

Josh's parents were visiting AJ and Colleen in Saskatchewan so we called them the next day with the news. They were going to have a new daughter! After that the craziness began... we set the date of January 26 - only 4 months away - and got serious! In those 4 months Josh started working at Sysco, we bought our condo, renovated it, had Christmas, planned the wedding and honeymoon, moved... it was nuts. Seriously nuts. But we didn't want to be "engaged" we wanted to be MARRIED!! :)

Here are some photos of our special day, plus some of the professional "Engagement" photos taken about a month later with our wedding photographer, Chris Elander http://www.chriselanderphoto.com/

:: On our way out for the day ::

:: On the way to Pemberton :::: Engaged! On horseback with our goofy helmets :) ::

:: Beautiful scenery ::

:: yay! So excited ::

:: Professional Engagement Photos ::

6 comments:

Christy said...

What a sweet memory....thanks for sharing your story.

Jessi said...

I'm crying just reading this! Wow, a whole year, that mean in 4 months you'll have been MARRIED for a year too! Time flys when you're in love! Can't wait to hang out tomorrow night! Love, Jessi

Anita Grace said...

Hey Laura, thanks for sharing your story.. and the photos. I totally know how you feel when you look back and wonder where all the time went. I mean, we just celebrated our 2 year Anniversary back in June and had 2 kids to celebrate with us! haha, the Lord sure has a way of doings things quickly when he wants to :) Blessings! ~Anita

Amanda said...

I just love your engagement story! It is great! You are sooooo in love and I loved reading all your words and thoughts about that day! Congrats on the day!

Crystal said...

yeh for one year! it so much fun looking back and remember those awesome times, but even more fun celebrating where we are at now:)!! and looking to the future!!
And like Jesse said..one year just around the corner!

that's us... said...

i just realized i had never heard your whole engagement story...thanks for telling it! what a wonderful memory...can't believe it was a year ago now!