Thursday, September 4, 2008

:: Last Weekend of Summer ::

I can't believe that Summer has come and gone... sad in some ways but I gotta say, I love Fall!! I love the crisp air with sunshine, wearing sweaters and boots, and getting back into routines. September is going to be a crazy month - we have 2 weddings (one of which I'm a bridesmaid in), one stagette, and at least 3 family birthdays that I know of, plus I joined volleyball every Monday night! So the month is already shaping up to a busy one and I'm looking forward to every minute! I love being busy and having lots of things on the go. At times I need to say "no" and take time for just me, or for Josh and me, or for our place! I'm learning :)

Josh and I had a great last weekend of summer! Josh is still off on compo, recovering from a back injury, so we were able to go away! I had a day banked at work so we turned the long weekend into a 4 day weekend. It was such a nice break! We started off the weekend by joining Josh's family up in Golden Ears for some camping. It's been a tradition of the Neufeld's to go there this time every year. We might change it up for next year though, because we haven't lucked out with weather for the past few. Grandma and Grandpa Goerzen join in, and whoever can make it comes up, whether for the whole weekend, a night or two, or a few hours. It did rain a lot and it was SO cold! But we had fun reading by the fire (at times under umbrellas!), playing games and eating... a lot of eating :) To make things more interesting, there were some mice who decided that the trailers would be nice and dry... Grandma and Grandpa G caught one little guy and we caught 3! We think there were still more with us though - those ones just got the cheese. Smart little mice! :) On Sunday my parents came up to visit but we were packing up to leave, as the weather wasn't improving and we had used up all the firewood! So we all went back to Josh's parents and had a fire and dinner there. A nice hot shower never felt so good!


The next evening Josh and I got to celebrate our friend Dean's 38th birthday! It was so nice to see old friends and celebrate with Deaners. Dean and I have been friends since 2002, and in 2004 I introduced him to Jessi, my friend from Australia. It was love at first sights and 5 weeks later they were engaged, and since then have had 2 wonderful children - Halle and Sebastian - and have bought their home in Langley. They are such wonderful people and a huge blessing in my life - I love them all to bits !




:: Josh and Grandpa Goerzen in deep conversation by the fire::



:: Josh and I - we wore touques all weekend, attempting to stay warm and dry! ::




Posted by Picasa


:: Our three little friends in their final resting place ::








:: The wonderful cake Jessi made for Dean - her first time using fondant! Good work Jess! ::


:: The happy family of 4 ::
:: Amber, Jessi, Sebastian and me - no better feeling than a baby falling asleep in your arms, especially one as sweet as this little man! ::

:: Today at work, trying to show my new hair-do! It's dark underneath which you can't see in the pic, and blonder everywhere else, plus shorter and more layered. My SIL Hannah did it for me, isn't she awesome?!? ::

5 comments:

Christy said...

Your hair looks great!! And how nice to have one last family hoorah, no matter what the weather was like!

Crystal said...

Hair looks good! Love sleeping babies:)

Thanks for the mice pic! Don't let your nephews see that pic!haha

The Samy's said...

Hey Laura, It was so good seeing you guys and chatting, We have to get together soon! Your hair looks sooo good! Love the pictures of the mice, you had to throw them ah?
Have a great weekend and I am sure I will chat with you soon!
P.S. You are a natural holding Sebastian!

Anita Grace said...

I second that comment... you were a natural holding that little guy! Great blog Laura... I'm going to add you to my google reader :) You are a very gifted writer! Looks like you have a busy September ahead of you! ... and in reply to your cupboards post, man you should see how disorganized my pantry is right now... AH!

Amanda said...

Even though your weather was bad for your last summer weekend I am sure the company was great!
It was so great to see you on Thurs. Thanks for coming over for a visit and movie! (Sorry we had to go get dinner so late!) But it was worth it! SUSHI! Yum.

PS: LOVE the hair! AND love YOU!