Wednesday, January 21, 2009

:: Mango Coconut Energy Bar ::

So I received this recipe yesterday in a newsletter I subscribe to (written by Lee, who comments below) and I can't wait to try it out! I need to go grocery shopping first, as I don't have some of the ingredients at home... but I'll let you know how they turn out! If you give them a try, let me know how they are!


Mango Coconut Energy Bar


"With a tropical flavor, high electrolyte content, and energy-producing coconut, these raw energy bars are ideal for long physically demanding days, or any day! I like to have one just before I head outdoors for my morning power walk; it gives me the energy I need for the walk without weighing me down. Then, when I come home, I enjoy a full breakfast. They’re also great for late morning or around 3:30 or 4:00 to “re-boot” your energy and vitality!" Lee

¾ cup fresh or soaked dried dates
½ cup chopped mango
½ cup ground flaxseed
½ cup soaked or cooked quinoa (a high protein nutritious grain)
¼ cup macadamia nuts
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp lemon zest
Sea salt to taste
¼ cup shredded coconut (or more to make bars desired texture)

In a food processor, process all the ingredients together except coconut. Remove the mixture from the food processor; work coconut into it by hand. Roll into balls or shape it into bars.

Makes 12 small balls.

From The Thrive Diet by Brendan Brazier. Brendan says “these bars will not freeze solid so you can eat them straight from the freezer”.

4 comments:

The Samy's said...

Yummm, I will have to try this. I ma sure that both Bobby and I will need a extra boost in a few months =)Let me know how yours works out.

Amanda said...

Those sounds delish! Let me know how they turn out!

cathy said...

Those sound great! Have you made them yet?! I love that Brendan...I love the VEGA powdered meal replacement.

Meg Baxter said...

Oooh, yum, I will definitely try these!